Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Maui Ocean Center



The aquarium at the Maui Ocean Center is well done, and full of information, including cultural changes to the coastal areas and islands over time. The exhibits of the shallow depths and mid-depths zones are well done, and we viewed a short movie on the work of the non-profit Pacific Whale Foundation and its partners in rescuing whales entangled in fishing gear.  Too many cetaceans are caught and die in entanglements every year, and this group is working to find better ways to help fishermen avoid the entanglements with gear changes.

The jellies display is small, but they had an interesting specimen--the upside down jellies--which are known for their strong sting.

The walk through the shark and ray tunnel is neat, and sitting in the tunnel as the creatures swim over and behind you is a thrill.

I tried to capture one very interestingly colored fish, below, and took dozens of images, but mostly the images had the tail chopped off, the nose chopped off, half a fish, a third of a fish, two thirds of a fish...and only one whole fish.  That's because this fish swims REALLY fast.  I've forgotten its name, so if you know it, please comment and let me know it too.



The mid-zone fishes were busy most of the time, too, and some schooled, while others just mingled in:


I am past scuba diving, so the aquarium is the only place I can see these mid-zone fish up close!

3 comments:

  1. I love the Maui Aquarium. I remember the spitting fish especially. Such fun.
    I think the colorful character might be a clown fish (?). Oooo, I wanna go snorkeling again now.

    ReplyDelete